Monday, January 17, 2011

Reading through the eyes of Amanda Starner

Long and many years ago, I can remember being in highschool where I read for pleasure often and was intrigued by varieties of books. Even though many years ago refers to not that long ago since I graduated in 08, my parched mind forgets too much! I used to love doing book reports and even additionally asked my teachers for extra credit if I did additonal ones. I always took advantage of it and got good grades in English. Even so, I can remember back to my beginner days when I was fascinated by The Jungle Book as I read it multiple times. As well as the Goosebump classics. A big favorite of mine was Maniac Magee, and I even did a lesson plan on it! As I began to become more familiar with the world I started to engage in novels that discussed abuse or rape, along with other reality topics. I enjoyed the connection that I got between the characters and myself. Once I got old enough to get a job, I got one as a hostess. And boyy, were there boring times! So I started to read for pleasure again during those long summer nights standing there greeting costumers at my hostess stand. I fell IN LOVE with Jodi Picoult and all of her real life situations. So I now own plenty of books that are hers. So yes, I would consider myself a reader even though I pretty much only read whats required for my education now because that is all that time allows me to. Even though I should and could read instead of many other things I fill my time with. I enjoy reading about others lives and what they discover about themselves and or their world around them as I gain insite by reading how they deal with their individual situations. I would consider myself a motivated reader when it is an enjoyable read. Not so much motivated to read all of the ollld gibberrish that we(English majors) are suposed to adore. I do not fancy a lot in the English major yet see myself only involved in English and in teaching and movitating students to enjoy their English class through modern techniques, styles, reading and understanding of text.
This semester and forward I hope to learn to take notes while reading to better my understanding and love for the not so easy to understand works.

1 comment:

  1. "I enjoy reading about others lives and what they discover about themselves and or their world around them"

    I think your students would enjoy reading this way too. Now it's up to you to figure out how to make that reading relevant and meaningful to them!

    ReplyDelete